In the cozy city of Kamenetz-Podolsky, where most of the cultural and historical sites of Ukraine are concentrated, a special medieval atmosphere reigns. It is often called the “open-air museum.” And not in vain! Indeed, there are more than 152 tourist sites, the city is featured in many foreign and domestic tours, the most popular tourist routes in Ukraine resemble the local edge, recognized as one of the 7 wonders of Ukraine.
Architecture, picturesque nature, the spirit of history, impregnable walls of the fortress, which harmoniously complement each other, create an atmosphere of the Middle Ages, grandeur and romance. Seen here captures tourists, so many prefer to return here again.
If you love traveling around Ukraine, you should visit here at least once!
Kamyanets-Podilsky fortress, today
Today, the city of Kamenetz-Podolsky is a well-developed tourist region, where festivals and tournaments are often held, where thousands of tourists from all over Ukraine and abroad come for new impressions. As a rule, such events take place at the pearl of the city – Kamenetz-Podolsky Castle, or, as it is also called “Old Castle”. Entrance to the territory is paid, but the price is not high. In the interior of the cultural and historical sights of the Khmelnitsky region, you will see many interesting museum exhibits, you can shoot from archery or crossbow, buy a souvenir and climb the towers, which offer the best view of the city.
Old castle tower
The castle consists of 11 towers, each with its own history.
1. The papal tower. It was built on the donation of Pope Julius II. in the years 1505-1515. Today it is the largest part of the Old Castle, which has 5 floors.
The building is also known as the “Karmalyukova Tower” where Ustim Karmalyuk was kept from where he escaped from custody more than three times.
2. Kolpak Tower. It was built in 1544. But, during the military conflict in 1672, the castle survived the attack of the Turkish army, and subsequently the tower was seriously damaged. It was restored by betraying the roof with a conical shape.
3. Tenchinskaya tower. The hill was named after Jan Tenchinsky.
4. The caress tower. Since the 15th century, the values of representatives of religion have been kept in the fortress tower.
5. Daytime tower. The oldest building of the fortress that was used as an observation point.
6. The new tower. Unfortunately, today the destroyed parts of the walls remained from the tower.
7. West tower. Strengthened the outer wall of the castle.
8. The black tower. In its structure, it is a pentagonal structure made of a tented roof. There is a well inside the tower. Its depth is 40 meters.
9. Lyantskoronskaya tower. Cylindrical shaped tower.
10. The curfew tower. It was part of the northern wall and served as an observation deck.
11. Water tower. The structure is located outside the fortress. It had an important strategic value as a source of water.
Sights of Kamyanets-Podilsky
Your plans include independent travel to Ukraine and you are considering all kinds of the best ideas for a family vacation, then the city of Kamenetz-Podolsky can be a good option for the upcoming leisure. An incredible amount of natural, historical sights, modern entertainment centers and unique art objects are concentrated within the city. Be sure you won’t be bored here!
Undoubtedly, the Old Castle with its towers is impressive, but this is far from the only attraction of the city. Therefore, if you are wondering, “What to see in Kamenets-Podilsky? Take into account several interesting tourist locations that are worth visiting in the first place: the consent table, Lower and Upper Polish Gates, Fahrenhelets staircase, Peter and Paul Church, Armenian well, city Town Hall, tourist monument, Dominican Church, Russian Gate, Smotrytsky Canyon, souvenir market, Swan Lake Square.
It should be noted that these are far from all the sights of Kamyanets-Podilsky, there are many more! But in any case, to see most of them one day will not be enough.
Not far from the city of Kamenetz-Podolsky, Khotinsky Fortress is just 20 km away, I recommend visiting!